Things to do
Approximately 50 miles long and between 7 and 25 miles wide, the beautiful Isle of Skye is one of the longest and northerly islands in the Inner Hebrides.
Boasting dramatic landscape, craggy mountain peaks and idyllic sea lochs, the Isle of Skye has something to offer every visitor, with cycling, walking and fishing just a few of the many activities that are available.
The Isle of Skye really is a walker’s paradise. There are a huge variety of walks to suit everyone, most of which are signposted and have well worn footpaths. The island has an area of approximately 650 sq miles, with peaks reaching up to 4,400ft (1300m), yet you are never further than 5 miles from the sea.
Many of these walks are listed in the information pack provided by the owners but for a list of all of the walks available and to help you plan your trip, have a look at www.isleofskye.com
Whether it’s Mountain Biking, Racing or Touring, there are tracks and roads for all. There are many off-road tracks that are great for mountain biking but for those who prefer to cycle on tarmac, it’s fantastic!
A boat trip off the Isle of Skye is a wonderful way to appreciate the spectacular views – you may even be lucky enough to see Whales, Seals, Dolphins, Basking Sharks and numerous sea-birds.
Places to visit
Driftwood cottage distance to following Skye attractions;
- Staffin Dinosaur Footprint – 0.5 mile (1km) 2 minute drive
- Quiriang mountain range – 1 mile (2 km) - 5 minute drive
- Kilt Rock – 1 mile (2 km) - 5 minute drive
- Dinosaur Footprint at brothers point –7 miles (11km) 10 minute drive
- Lealt Falls Viewing platform –7 miles (11km) 10 minute drive
- Fairy Glen at Uig –10 miles (16km) 30 minute drive
- Skye Museum of island life -8 miles (13km) 25 min drive
- Old man of storr – 12 Miles (19km) 20 minute drive
- Talisker Whiskey Distillery - 35 miles (56km) 1 hr drive
- Fairy Pools – 39 miles (62km) 1hr drive
- Sligachan - for Marsco walk & ‘Sgùrr nan Gillean’ climb – 28 miles (45km) 50min drive
- Elgol - for boat trips 58 miles (93km) 1hr 45min
- Dunvegan Castle – 47 Miles (75km) 1hour drive
- Coral Beach – 47 Miles (75km) 1hour drive
- Clan Donald (Armadale) Castle & Gardens -60 miles (96km) 1hr 30 min drive
- Neist Point (Lighthouse) 48 miles (78km) 1hr 30min drive
- Portree – 18 miles (28km) 25 minute drive
- UIG – 9 miles (14km) 25 minute drive
The Isle of Skye boasts some of the finest restaurants in Scotland, most of which offer wonderfully fresh seafood and wild sea views.
There are a few restaurants within a 10-15 minute drive of Driftwood Cottage, with many more located in Portree (25 minute drive away) and in other parts of the island.
Driftwood Cottage Information Pack
An information pack is provided by the owners and kept in the Cottage at all times for guests use. Included is a comprehensive list of places to visit, things to do, restaurants, shops etc.. as well as directions, contact details and opening times.
The owners live close by and are happy to provide any further information that is required.